HOW TO PICK THE CORRECT LAMPSHADE SIZE
of reading - words
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT LAMPSHADE SIZE I NEED?
Do you need some assistance choosing a new lamp shade? We've put together a few tips to help you with your questions, including one that comes up frequently. “How do you measure a lamp shade?” says the narrator.
1. Take a measurement across the lamp shade's top.
2. Take a measurement across the lamp shade's BOTTOM.
3. Take a measurement along the lamp shade's SLANT (side).
It's these three dimensions that most lamp shades list (Top x Bottom x Slant). Measuring the height straight down from top to bottom is a fourth dimension that can be useful. This will come in handy with some of the “general rules” listed below, wether it's home or industrial flush mounted ceiling lights, we can help!
SELECTION GUIDELINES FOR LAMPSHADES
1. The more simple the shape of the lamp's body, the more different shades it can have.
2. In the shade, repeat the shape(s) in the lamp body; for example, a round lamp on a square base can have a rounded top and square bottom shade.
3. The diameter of the shade's bottom should not exceed the height of the lamp body (to the bottom of the socket).
4. Coordinate the colour of the lampshade with the colour of the room's trim and the lamp's tones. Don't be scared to use colour or black as an accent.
5. Think about how much power you'll need! The maximum wattage allowed is determined by the lampshade, not the lamp body.
6. When choosing a shade, keep the lamp's design in mind. A plainer shade is recommended for a busy lamp.
7. When it comes to it... Apply a deep cone shade to a short round ball base, a glossy white shade to a beige stone vase, a cube shade to a stacked ball lamp, a red or black shade to an Oriental foundation, and so on.
HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE HEIGHT OF THE SHADE?
The height of a table lamp shade should be 60 percent to 70% of the height of the base (to the bottom of the socket). The height of a floor lamp shade should be equal to the height of the base multiplied by 30 to 40%. Along the slope, measure the shade height.
WHAT ABOUT THE DIMENSION?
A table shade's diameter (width) should never exceed the height of the base (to the bottom of the socket) and should be within 2 inches of it "of this magnitude Shades for floor lamps should be at least 3.5 inches apart from the bulb's widest area "on both sides of the light bulb (unless using compact fluorescent bulb). The diameter of a lamp shade is commonly used to describe its size (16" shade has a diameter of 16").
Make sure to look at our kitchen pendant lighting ideas..
ARE THERE PARTICULAR SHADE DESIGNS THAT WORK WELL WITH CERTAIN BASE STYLES? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MATCHING THE TWO?
• The more simple the shape of the lamp's body, the more different shades it can have.
• A circular lamp on a square base can have a shade with a rounded top and square bottom if the shape(s) in the lamp body are repeated in the shade shape.
ARE THERE ANY THINGS TO AVOID WHEN IT COMES TO SHADE CHOICES?
• There is a talented designer for every “rule” (see rules) that can effectively breach it! Your finest guide is your sight.
• Always keep your lumens in mind.
IS IT SAFE TO GO BIGGER OR SMALLER WHEN CHOOSING BETWEEN TWO SIMILAR SHADES?It's advisable to go bigger, just like with outdoor wall lights, to allow for more wattage.
ISN'T THERE A SHADE THAT FLATTERS MOST BASES?Choose a lamp shade with a shape that follows the lamp's overall features. Round lamps look best with round shades, whereas square lights look best with square shades. A lamp with a shapely shape can have a shapely shade. In the shade, a fun alternative is to repeat the shape of the vase stand (rather than the vase shape). Try a square shade on a circular ginger jar with a square wood base, for example.
ARE THERE ANY SPECIFIC SHADE SHAPES THAT ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO GET RIGHT?
The shade might be shallower the more slim the lamp's body is. Extremely-flared sunglasses might be difficult to master. When you change the lampshade, you may need to adjust the size of the harp on your lamp. The harp you need is shorter the more flared the shade is. Shades for lamps with several sockets should be bigger and shorter, and you may need to seek advice from a salesman.
You will love our black light for wall!
SHOULD THE SHADE KISS THE LAMP'S BASE AT THE TOP? SHOULD THE HARP/HARDWARE PART OF THE LAMP BE SEEN A LITTLE?
The bottom of the lampshade should reach the top of the lamp's body, leaving no mechanical elements visible save half of the neck. The shade's bottom edge should also be at the user's eye level. Because most harps are interchangeable, you might need to buy a new one to match your new shade. Harps are available in two sizes: ordinary and heavy (for relatively more expensive lamps), and their size is usually marked on the top in inches.
Don't forget to check out our bedroom home lights!
We also have a useful guide on color temperature in bathroom.